In Haftseen we Iranians create our little universe of nature, as we identify with the seven unique elements of life in our New Year. Each element is associated to an Ahuramazdan astrological universal force that always exists.
In Avestan it is called "Amesha Sepanta". In Persian we say "Hamisheh vojut dareh". We had seven Amesha Sepantas. The four elements: Fire, Earth, Air and Water, plus animals, plants and humans.
Later when all was lost, the language was destroyed, but the meanings remained as Haftseen. The words Amesha Sepanta was reduced to the letter S.
In Astrology we have the basic four elements representing basic four types of signs.
There are three Fire signs: Farvardin (Aries), Amordad (Leo), Azar (Sagittarius).
There are three Earth signs: Ordibehesht (Taurus), Shahrivar (Virgo), Day (Capricorn).
There are three Air signs: Khordad (Gemini), Mehr (Libra), Bahman (Aquarius).
There are three Water signs: Tir (Cancer), Aban (Scorpio), Esfand (Pisces).
In Iran we all celebrate Knowrooz (my spelling of Nowruz). But not one Iranian, knows the Astrological meanings, behind Farvardin. It is just the first month of the year.
"Chi migi baba? Avalin maheh saleh. Be setareha che rapt dareh, Ali agha? Bazam shoroo kardi. Ajaba!"
(WTF are you saying man? It's the first month of the year. What's it got to do with the stars, Ali? Here you go again. OMG!)
Most people in the world know what Astrology is. Most people know what an Aries is. But not one person knows, that for thousands of years, it was called Farvardin, before being called Aries.
The original Astrological meanings, were written by the "1st Magi" or Zoroaster. Zoroaster himself was an Ahuramazdan, as he spoke to Ahuramazda and was taught what "the human purpose" is.
The history of Iran, has been constantly rewritten, everytime we were invaded. The new regime, would do whatever it could do, to totally obliterate art or philosophy of the old regime.
But Iran and its Ahuramazdan principles were never lost. Their is a unique identity to Iran and Ahuramazda. The identity is based on the calendar. The time at which the first day of spring is calculated, is what makes Iranian mathematics the best.
Every Iranian identifies with the Spring Vernal Equinox. That unique moment is the most powerful moment in Astrology. Iranians celebrate it from the exact moment. And I mean the split second it happens. That is what unites our unique identity. This Spring 80 million Iranians counted down the beginning of Spring. And no one ever stood in the way.
The ability to identify ourselves, is what makes our society. Faravar Din means the spiritual root of Din. Din is not religion. It is the highest point. It is related to Day or Capricorn. It is the High Noon or Mid-Heaven. Mars the ruler of Aries is exhalted in Capricorn. So action or Aries is most powerful when it creates or acts to make its future in society.
Ahuramazda speak to Zoroaster in the Zend-Avesta's Farvardin Yasht in 1:1. Ahuramazda needs help to create heaven on earth. The human being is respected as an identity, to carry out the will of Ahuramazda, as an Ahuramazdan.
"Ahura Mazda spake unto Spitama Zarathushtra, saying: 'Do thou proclaim, O pure Zarathushtra! the vigour and strength, the glory, the help and the joy that are in the Fravashis of the faithful, the awful and overpowering Fravashis; do thou tell how they come to help me, how they bring assistance unto me, the awful Fravashis of the faithful."
Ahuramazda states that he creates the brightness of the stars for a good reason in 1:2:
"Through their brightness and glory, O Zarathushtra! I maintain that sky, there above, shining and seen afar, and encompassing this earth all around."
Iranians celebrate the first day of Spring because the days get longer. It is when nature is reborn and light over powers darkness. It is when he starts his work in the beginning of Spring.
The month is split into the four spheres of existence.
The first seven days celebrate Ahura Mazda and the Amesha Spentas, (lit. Beneficent Immortals) sometimes called the Archangels. They are the highest spiritual beings created by Ahura Mazda.
1. Ohrmazd (Av. Ahura Mazda)The Lord of Wisdom, Zarathushtra's name for God
2. Vohuman (Av. Vohu Mano)Good Mind or Purpose. Presides over animals.
3. Ardwahisht (Av. Asha Vahishta)Highest Asha. Presides over fire.
4. Shahrewar (Av. Khshathra Vairya)'Desirable Dominion'. Presides over metals.
5. Spandarmad (Av. Spenta Armaiti)Holy (or Beneficent) Devotion. Presides over the Earth.
6. Hordad (Av. Haurvatat)Wholeness (Perfection or Health). Presides over the waters.
7. Amurdad (Av. Ameretat)Immortality or Life. Presides over plants.
The second week celebrates LIGHT and NATURE:
8. Day-pa-Adar (Av. Dadvah)The Creator's day before Adar.
9. Adar (Av. Atar)Fire
10. Aban (Av. Aban)Waters
11. Khwarshed (Av. Hvar Khshaeta)The Shining Sun
12. Mah (Av. Mah)The Moon
13. Tishtar (Av. Tishtrya)The Star Sirius, brightest star in the heavens
14. Gosh (Av. Geush)Sentient Life or the Ox-Soul
The third week celebrates moral qualities:
15. Day-pa-Mihr (Av. Dadvah)The day of the Creator before Mithra
16. Mihr (Av. Mithra)Yazad of the Contract
17. Srosh (Av. Sraosha)Yazad of 'Hearkening', i.e. paying attention
18. Rashnu (Av. Rashnu)Yazad of Truth
19. Frawardin (Av. Fravashis)The Guardian Angels
20. Warharan (Av. Verethraghna)Victory, Triumph over evil
21. Ram (Av. Raman)Peace, Joy
22. Gowad (Av. Vata)Wind, atmosphere
The fourth week celebrates religious ideas:
23. Day-pa-Den (Av. Dadvah)The day of the Creator before Den
24. Den (Av. Daena)Religion, also Inner Self or Conscience
25. Ashi (Av. Ashi)Blessings or Rewards
26. Ashtad (Av. Arshtat)Rectitude, Justice
27. Asman (Av. Asman)Sky
28. Zam (Av. Zam)Earth
29. Mahraspand (Av. Mathra Spenta)Holy Word (Manthra), also specific sections of scripture with certain poetic and spiritual properties
30. Anagran (Av. Anaghra Raocha)Endless Light
In summary, identities are defined in Farvardin. These are the basic elements to the Ahuramazdan astrological universe.